The Animal Resources Center (ARC) is a part of the Unit of Comparative Medicine at the Medical Sciences Campus (MSC) of the University of Puerto Rico (UPR), committed to offer quality services to the university community and private entities, which through an accredited and properly regulated facility, and highly qualified personnel, provides care and maintenance of animals to be used in research.
The Animal Resources Center (ARC) of the Unit of Comparative Medicine is the animal research facility at the Medical Sciences Campus (MSC) of the University of Puerto Rico. It is responsible for the care and husbandry of laboratory animals used in education, testing, and biomedical research. Within these functions, the Center practices and promotes the reponsible and hurmane use and care of animals in teaching, research and testing.
The ARC offers the following services:
- A well equipped vivarium, accredited by the American Association for the Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) and registered with the United States Department of Agriculture(USDA/APHIS) and the Office for LAboratory Welfare (NIH/OLAW). Investigators seeking federal funds for their studies require that the animal unit be AAALAC accredited.
- Personnel highly trained in the handling and care of laboratory animals through the application of the highest standards in the health care, hygiene and handling of animals.
- Permanent veterinary services, including monitoring of animal health, surgery, diagnostics, necropsy, sample collections, inoculations and other related services.
- Procurement of animals.
- Training of personnel, students and research staff in the adequate handling, use and care of laboratory animals.
- Disposal of biohazardous wastes, etc
- Procurement and preparation of animals for teaching activities.
- Advise on the use of different species and varieties of common laboratory animals, and on their characteristics in experimantal use.
- Development of research protocols under the contract with public or private organizations.
- Development of original research, independently or in collaboration with other researchers, in or outside MSC.
- Advice to other institutions on the design, operation and administration of facilities to be used with laboratory animals.